Serve up the spiciest, most flavorful hot dog in the world. Once you try this recipe, you’ll keep making it on repeat over, and over, and over again.
Here’s a hot dog to spice up the dinner table on a hot summer day. It’s best made with the classic, all-beef frank. But you can just as well prepare it with a beef-and-pork wiener.
The sweetness of the brioche or potato bun and the chili sauce meld together with the rich flavors of the browned sausage and melted cheddar cheese.
Boiling the bun in salted water before browning keeps it tender and juicy and prevents it from drying out in the pan. The browning, in oil and butter, develops the aroma and the flavor of the meat in a way that boiling alone doesn’t.
The pickled jalapeño peppers add a tangy kick that makes this hot dog like no other, especially for those who cannot say “no” to spicy food.
Give this hot dog recipe a try and it will quickly turn into a family favorite.
Just don’t say I didn’t warn you!
Cheddar Jalapeño Hot Dog
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 tbsp cooking oil avocado, canola, or rice bran oil
- 1 tbsp butter unsalted
- 1 hot dog frank
- 1 hot dog bun brioche bun or potato bun
- 2 slices cheddar cheese
- 1 handful pickled jalapeños sliced
- 1 tbsp sweet chili sauce
Cook the frank
- Fill a pot with water, season it liberally with salt, then bring it to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce the heat to medium, remove the casing of the hot dog (if artificial), then dip it in the boiling water and let it simmer for 5 minutes. Turn off the heat and keep the frank in the pot when done.
- Whip out a frying pan, add a glug of oil and unsalted butter, then set the burner on medium-high. Wait for the butter to melt and stop bubbling, then add the frank to the pan and sizzle on all sides until golden brown.
Prepare the hot dog
- Slice the hot dog bun semi-open. Scoop up some of the hot oil and melted butter from the pan with a tablespoon and spread it on the inside of the bun.
- Lay the sliced cheddar cheese on the inside of the bun to create a cheese cushion between the bread and the frank. Put the steaming frank on top of the cheese cushion.
- Put the hot dog in a 400°F (200°C) oven, or on the grill with the lid closed, for 2-3 minutes to further melt the cheddar cheese.
Top with condiments
- Top with sweet chili sauce and then a generous amount of sliced pickled jalapeño peppers. Rest for 2-3 minutes before serving and eating.